I am certainly no authority on country music, but I am constantly baffled by the bad rap that country gets back home down under (particularly compared to its prevalence stateside).
With its blues roots, country shares common elements with rock and roll, jazz, R&B, rock and pop – all genres that have broader appeal outside rural America.
In the interests of and the spirit of don’t knock it ’til you try it here’s my list of five contemporary country tracks you should give a chance before you decide you don’t like country.
- We Should Be Friends – Miranda Lambert
- Blue Tacoma – Russel Dickerson
- Take It From Me – Jordan Davis
- Proved You Wrong – Cassadee Pope
- Wasted Time – Keith Urban
If crying alone in your car is more your speed, country has you covered too:
- Vice – Miranda Lambert
- Without You – Keith Urban
- Yours – Russel Dickerson
- Worth It – Danielle Bradbery
- Beautiful Crazy – Luke Combs
Seriously, understanding why people don’t like country music is beyond my powers of comprehension.