Founded in 1992 and now led by the Hon Ian Callinan AC QC (formerly of the High Court of Australia), The Samuel Griffith Society is Australia’s pre-eminent legal affairs society dedicated to upholding the Commonwealth Constitution and promoting Australian federalism.
When Xavier first joined the Society in 2015, he was initially responsible for assisting Stuart Wood AM QC with his responsibilities as Secretary and Treasurer. He then took on the role of Membership Officer, was later promoted to Director of Strategy, and was appointed as the Society’s first full-time Executive Director in mid-2020.
- Holds an annual conference featuring Australia’s foremost judges, lawyers, lawmakers and legal scholars
- Publishes Upholding the Australian Constitution
- Promotes public discussion and debate concerning significant constitutional issues
- Undertakes and supports research into Australia’s constitutional arrangements
- Engages in public education and advocacy – including by way of submissions to parliamentary committees, law reform inquiries, and government